Monday, January 28, 2013

On the rocks

{By Kelly}

In an attempt to reclaim the driveway and access to the carport, I started brainstorming alternative parking locations for our 26-foot behemoth. 

We don't have a big yard, so our options were limited. I measured the south end of our backyard and was elated to discover the Airstream would fit along the fence line on the side of the house, in front of the shed. It would be a tight squeeze between the fence and cabbage palms, but if my measurements were correct, the door would be perfectly aligned between two palm trees. 

Justin had to rework the sprinklers a bit, then we created a pad of pebbles and river rocks. FINALLY, a use for all the rocks I've collected over the years from North Carolina streams and the California coast! We had enough rocks for the border and we purchased two yards of Chattahoochee river rock pebbles to fill the interior area.
On the rocks
Ample shade and the proximity to the shed would make it a much better location for our renovation work, which is nicely concealed by the fence. When our work is finished, it will make for a perfect "guest house" and party pad.

The most impressive part of the move from the driveway to the backyard was Justin's keen "backing up" skills. He removed two fence panels and a 4x4 post so we could accomodate the 8-foot wide trailer. Backing that Land Yacht through a slalom of trees and bushes in the front yard and a 12-foot opening would be no small feat.

I took a deep breath and prepared for a barrage of cussing as I tried my best to direct Justin, our Ford F-150 Super Crew, and 26-foot Airstream through this narrow chute and onto the 10 by 30-foot pad. Bear in mind, there's still an A/C unit mounted on the front street-side window of the camper, blocking Justin's view. I winced as our neighbor, George, walked over to watch this spectacle, afraid he would witness what would surely end in foul language and yelling. 

Miraculously, I was able to shout loud enough for Justin to hear me and he carefully maneuvered the Airstream into her new home. I was thoroughly impressed and so was George. Justin was rather proud of himself, and rightfully so.

Apparently, Justin perfected his skills as a youngster on a riding lawn mower hooked to a short-tongued utility trailer. He also gets lots of practice at the boat ramp. I've made it one of my goals this year to become proficient at backing up the boat, then I'll progress to the camper.

A new parking spot in the back yard, in front of the shed.
After we moved the Airstream to the backyard, Justin reinstalled the fence panels and we were set! Eventually, we'll install a large gate, but she's not going anywhere for a while. It makes me so happy to look out the kitchen window and see our shiny aluminum abode instead of a fence.

As I admired the Airstream from the kitchen, I knew she needed a name. I'd been kicking around several ideas with Justin and my Mom, but nothing seemed original or appropriate enough. I knew I wanted to incorporate kitschy flamingos into the decorating theme, so I tried to think of a name with the word "nest" in it, or something bird related. Once the word "roost" crossed my mind, I knew I had it: "The Riveted Roost" or "Riva" for short.

I searched through Airstream Forums about camper names, then Google and couldn't find where anyone else had used the name. I ran it by Justin and received his seal approval, and then it was official. I created this blog, started a Facebook page and claimed the Twitter handle, @RivetedRoost. I can't wait to work with Justin on a Riveted Roost logo... the wheels are already turning. Stay tuned!

It was a tight squeeze between the fence and the palm trees, but she fits!

No comments:

Post a Comment